Powered by Blogger.

No Home Delivery for these Pizzazz!!!

by - 10:52 PM

The script was brilliant. After all the author was a Tony Awardee. And it had its share of playing to the gallery. Trust the Irish to not miss an opportunity to ‘up yours’ the Americans.

The set was minimalistic. No clutter. And the only mobility for most parts on stage was Sharanya who played a games playing Marion. With the hypnotising voice of Nakul Bhalla as Dr. Conroy the play moves along at a surprisingly rapid pace. With Siddharth Rao popping up from his slumber with some real gems as the scramble headed Rooney and Nidhi Pant low profiling as a reluctant Olivia the circling of the boats, sorry Cruisers, becomes a fascinating thread to string the meandering of the story.

Ratika Sant Keswani’s entry towards the end as the housekeeper who gets coopted to be the play mother slips into her role with aged ease.

All in all a lovely evening, a tight well written script.

But I came away with the definite feeling that my memory of the Pizzazz performance by Dramanon Hyderabad brought a wider smile to my face. Why? I don’t know. Am I biased? Maybe.

But I feel that the twist in the tale which is what makes the play hilarious at the end was led to with too much intensity by Sharanya who also directed the play. I missed a gradual shift from casual banter to heavily loaded dialogues. I thought the play slipped into the mode, the groove, too fast. Prematurely if I say so myself.

This is not to say that the play was any the worse for this. In fact it kept the tempo inspite of the NIFTians switching off the AC midway. But it was perhaps the only area where improvement would have been possible, or even necessary.

On a note that may stamp me as a perv (after yesterday’s blog where I pointed out Gomatham’s need for cycle shorts) I think Sharanya should take a fresh look at her costume. The tell tale signs of bikini panties (if that’s what they are called) was an unnecessary distraction.

But, well done Dramanon Bangalore…and come back soon.

You May Also Like

0 comments