Powered by Blogger.

A Different Kind of Sunday…

by - 11:11 PM

om

I am not a big fan of Hindustani Classical music. I have been fortunate enough to be part of the audience listening to many of the maestros, but never developed a taste for this art form. But I like what the Bararia Family is doing. And I wanted to make an effort to go early in the morning (well, 10am on a Sunday IS Early Morning) to the Secunderabad Club where the event was scheduled to take place.

I told my wife that I would grab a bite at the club, and I must say it was the best thing I did today. The breakfast at the Club…Idlis, Wadas, Upma and Dosas…was simply out of the world. Minerva, Kamat, Chutneys…take a walk guys. You’ve got serious competition. Taj Mahal may still have an edge because of the saambaar, but that’s a razor thin one.

And then I walked towards where the ‘baithak’ was.

I remembered my father who once told me that Hindustani Music was like a Diesel Engine. Slow to start, but capable of speeding once warmed up. He told me this because he thought my taste in music was like petrol…instant combustion, immediate spark.

And true to form Omkar Dadarkar took almost an hour before he stepped on the gas. And what an hour that was. He played with his voice, flirted with the harmonium and wowed the audience. And I for one was besotted.

But there were little things that distracted me…however they were welcome distractions. Because as my friend Zayn siad, they made my day.

2015-07-19-791The first distraction was the sight of a young boy, sitting quietly in the side, studiously doing his homework. Hats off to the parents for this brilliant idea.

The second was the inimitable Sanjay Gadhalay 2015-07-19-793who stepped out of a wild west movie…hat, dark glasses, shorts and a spring in his step…obviously he was one man who came totally unplanned for the event.

The other event I did not photograph. Simply because it was so magical. I was sitting behind Mr. & Mrs. Narender Luther. Through the first hour or so this fine old couple simply enjoyed the music. But then after a while Mr. Luther showed a slight sign of discomfort. In a moment Mrs. Luther picked up the vibe. She looked lovingly at her husband, and some communication took place.

One heart spoke to the other and Mrs. Luther nodded sagely. And then reached into her bag. From there she pulled out a small plastic box full of biscuits I think. Mr. Luther gratefully took the box and then began to munch on whatever it was. Truly a demonstration of a couple in their golden years.

The other fascinating sight was the way people were keeping rhythm. Someone nodded his head in tune. Someone else clicked his fingers. Someone played the tabla on his knee. Someone else mouthed the sounds that were being heard. But everyone was involved.

It was a pity that I had to leave after the interval. But like the digital dude said…what’s YouTube there for…

https://youtu.be/-p4eK3CtXWA

Enjoy.

You May Also Like

0 comments