Powered by Blogger.

The strange habit total strangers have of asking for endorsements on Linked In…

Screen-Shot

I don’t know about you, but I have a large number of connections on my LinkedIn account, most of whom I have never met in my life. And most of whom I never shall.

Why are they connections? Because I believe LinkedIn is a fraternity where we shake hands first and then get to know each other. And this is achieved by looking at profiles, following activities and so on.

Of course on my list are also people who I have worked for and even people who worked with me. Now in their case I can understand when they ask to be endorsed for a particular skillset or endorse me for something they have personally experienced vis-à-vis my profession or passion.

But the other guys. Those who barely qualify to be called acquaintances. I am surprised when they endorse me for skills. And shocked when they ask me to endorse them. Or is it LinkedIn that does the asking.

Now this is a riddle that has been troubling me for a long while. And I didn’t quite know how to put it. I mean, is this an exception to etiquette that LinkedIn allows, indeed encourages?

Anyway today I decided to voice my concern. And because I am incorrigible and quite the cheeky fellow, I decided to make my complaint a creative one.

Now I am asking you, for just a few minutes to imagine that LinkedIn is a different kind of forum. It is a platform where man meets woman. Much like a Matrimonial Site. Imagine…just for a few minutes.

And imagine that it is part of the fraternity customs to endorse each other for skills. Any skills. Cooking. Bringing up children. Teaching. And sex…yes, SEX.

So you have men and women sending out requests for endorsements. How good was I in bed? On a scale of 1 to 10. how would you rate me? What is it that I am likely to do after sex? a) Smoke b) Sleep c) Ask for an encore or d) Go to the fridge for a midnight snack…

Something like that.

Okay, this may be acceptable, even if not strictly necessary, between people who have actually had a relationship. But imagine endorsements between strangers. Or even acquaintances.

I mean, we have never met. We barely know one another. And I ask you how good you think I am or worse, tell you how good you are.

Preposterous don’t you think? I do. And so please excuse me for not endorsing most of you for talents that I do not know you have. And for being amused when I am endorsed for skills that you think I have. Even if you haven’t the foggiest about me and my skills.

And if you want to endorse me for Rudeness or Ignorance of current values, I’ll understand.

You May Also Like

0 comments