Powered by Blogger.

Lessons in Branding - from my wife!

Yesterday was the 29th anniversary of our meeting. It's a day we've always celebrated with a quiet evening somewhere, mostly just the two of us, sometimes with the kids.And all we would do is sit back, relax, thank the powers that be for all they had blessed us with and introspect a little about how much we had helped each other realize our dreams.

vmlm So last night was no different. At least to start with.

But all of a sudden, in between my anecdotes about my work and my hobbies, she stumped me by saying...Vijay, I am actually quite disappointed with you.

Not being a very versatile batsman I took some time to react, and luckily managed to stay at the crease without being declared out. Having adjusted my stance a la tendulkar,I asked innocently...but why?

And what she told me by way of answer made me wonder if I had stumbled onto the wrong pitch.

Vijay, she told me. You obviously don’t know how to brand yourself. When I objected with a stutter she shut me up with a 'LISTEN'.

You are a corporate and ad film maker...and from all that I have heard and seen, a good one, she said. I nodded mutely, wondering where the conversation was headed.

I didn't have too long to wait as she continued...

But everyone around you seems to know you as a theatre personality, a food critic, a blogger, a writer and even God Forbid, a poet. Even Shankar, your dear friend refers to you only as a professional voice over.

Now, she said, I have no objection to you being called all that and more, but I do have an issue if you are not known as a film maker. And a good one at that!

But those who need to know...know this, I protested, but to no avail.

I want people to know you, know of you and refer to you as a filmmaker, she emphatically said as she reached for her next beer.

I indulged her with a smile and allowed the kids to steer the conversation to the difference between paani puris and phuchkas, and that was that.

But after every one had gone to sleep and I was signing off from my mail and social media accounts and as I was getting my nightly fix of telugu comedy with Brahmanandam, I thought about what she said.

You see I come from a very peculiar school. And have turned out to be a bit of a maverick where imaging and imagery is concerned. I tend to be low profile about my work...I dont’ advertise...I don’t even have a website. And I have always believed in and depended on word of mouth. Over 90% of my assignments came to me because someone told someone else about me. In fact I have very rarely had to make pitches to clients. So if the world wanted to see me in different avataars, I really had no objection.

But the one point she made kind of struck a raw note. People can think what they want about you Vijay, I don’t really care, she said. But if you believe that it is the films that keep the moolah coming in and our home fires burning, I think you are being rather stupid...and not doing enough to promote yourself as a film maker.

On afterthought I confess that I have been guilty of the crime. I realize that I have been preaching but not practicing what I preach. And that's so not me that I am disappointed. No, devastated.And I better make amends soon.

Now I have too little hair left to attempt ponytails. Too many problems with my feet to attempt kolhapuris. And I am too tired to think of a mistress. All well known traits of filmmakers. So I have no option but to renew my faith in the old value system and hope that word of mouth will still prevail and words of wisdom will always be heard.

However I think that using the media at my command and reaching out to friends like you...and asking you to help spread the word...is still conventional enough for my liking and upfront enough for hers!

So if someone is looking for a good corporate or ad film, preferably one that they hope will go viral, do tell them about me. I do specialize in these domains. And I am quite honestly, good at what I do.

Cheers, and do wish me all the best of branding luck...

And yes, if you do bump into the wife somewhere, sometime, don’t forget to enquire about her filmmaker husband...I will be grateful:-)

You May Also Like

1 comments