Powered by Blogger.

Tabiyat theek hai kya? Vadam sariya irka? Vontlo bagunda? Are you alright?

There is a phrase in almost every language I know that allows me to ask (with concern) of a friend how he or she is.

That same phrase however, by simple juxtaposition of emphasis, can become a statement of menace. Tabiyat theek hai kya saaley for example is a typical phrase used by goons in anger while addressing cheeky upstarts. But just a plain simple ‘Tabiyat theek hai kya bhai’ becomes an epitome of benevolence.

I have heard friends’ mothers ask me ‘vadam sariya irka’ just as I have heard bullies in college warning me with the same phrase in a killer tone. This anomaly exists even in English. So an ‘Are you alright?’ question can be a friend’s concern or a mafioso’s threat.

Is this something we need to worry about? Is it something I can do something about? Is it worth the effort? The answer to all the questions is quite likely a definitive No. But I had to vent…my dog is refusing to eat and is becoming weaker by the moment. And I can’t take the apathy,,,nor can I fake the disconcern…

But what provoked this diatribe, and what perhaps triggered off the tirade is this stupid Facebook Question – How’s it going, Vijay?

Is Facebook genuinely concerned? If I say ‘not very well’ is Facebook going to cry? I say ‘super’ is Facebook going to dance?

I don’t think so. So can we dispense with these questions that are asked as a matter of routine and remember that some personalisation can be and should be done…but not like this…

You May Also Like

0 comments