Powered by Blogger.

What will I do without my little white pills?

homeo

I have been a believer in Homeopathy for more years than I can remember.

When we were in Calcutta in the early 1960s there was a famous Homeopathy Doctor at one end of Southern Avenue, and he was one busy old man. We were his regular patients. and we’d go there at 5. 30pm or so whenever we needed to, take a token and then go see a movie, have dinner at Komala Vilas and then come back in time for our appointment with Dr. Das (I think that was his name). And then he would prescribe medicines for us that a compounder would pack and charge us a fancy sum like Rs. 5/- for the consultation and the medicines.

When we moved to Hyderabad, my father would send the Good Doctor a postcard describing our ailments and a week or ten days  later, a VPP parcel would arrive. We’d pay the Postman. And collect our medicines.

What fascinated me about the Homeopathy Medicines was that they all looked the same…little white pills. And they were all sweet. Never did I get prescribed a ‘kadwa’ medicine. Or wait…maybe once in a while we’d get a liquid that was quite ghastly.

But in general, all cures looked the same. Little white pills or small packets of powder that we’d be asked to take X times a day.

And over the years these little white pills and packets have been part of so many ailments, and so many cures.

When I got married it was a relief to find that my wife too was a homeopathy believer. Once we had children of our own, the dependence on Homeopathy continued.

Not only the children but even the dogs were treated by this amazing science. And the little white pills remained dosages that we followed strictly whenever we had a problem.

Yesterday however I went to my doctor’s clinic after a while. While one of the perks of meeting my doctor is getting to see some sexy car or the other that my doctor keeps buying (the latest toy is the all new Skoda Superb which after a series of Audis, Mercs, BMWs and Porsches was a bit disappointing) what greeted me when I finally got to pick up my medicines was a shock.

I was given, along with the packets (poodis) numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4, three small bottles of clear liquid with an aerosol nozzle. 2 Sprays, 3 times a day I was told. I asked what about the little white pills. I was told that they were history.

I drove home in a daze.

While the rational side of my mind accepted that the white pills were just sugar balls designed to be carriers of the actual medicine…and that a direct spray of the medicine may actually be more efficient…I could not get over the development.

RIP. My little white pills. You will be missed.

 

You May Also Like

0 comments