Powered by Blogger.

A Wonderful Evening with ‘Sampradayam’ and a danseuse called Mallika…a brilliant start to the Krishnakriti Festival 2015.

by - 12:26 AM

malika_group1

I do not think I am a dance connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. But dance has been part of my life for almost half a century and I have had an opportunity to watch most of the greats. So I know a good thing when I see one.

What I saw tonight was by no means pure or classical Kuchipudi or Bharatnatyam. But it was a choreographed show that mesmerised most of the audience. And was definitely the best put together ensemble cast I’ve seen in a long time.

Hyderabad (with perhaps the exception of the ever graceful Ananda Shankar) is full of brilliant dancers who excel in theory, in abhinaya and so on…but sadly lose the battle with age and children, and become ungainly sorts trying desperately to hang on to the vestiges of a sprightly youth.

Not so Mallika Sarabhai. 60 years old if not more. She was slim, fit and graceful. Her colleagues on stage all fit the same bill.

But the star of the evening was the musical avalanche that the show unleashed. The men (and I think one lady only), all dressed up in white, went through a repertoire of Bhajans dedicated to several Gods…and the dancers just danced along…well, in a choreographed sort of way.

The only sound you could hear, other than the compelling percussion and powerful vocals, and the subtle tinkle of the Ghungroos…was the wave after wave of applause…

The bhajans were rendered with passion, percussion and professionalism. Seamless, they just floated from one stream to the other to climax and ecstasy…the main singer must have sung for a full hour alone.

And the trance like state that the bhajans took me  to, was a high that was pure joy. I was speaking to a lot of the audience members after the show while jostling for photo-ops with the ever obliging Sarabhai and the refrain was constant…wonderful…mesmerising…magical…

One old Shilpakala Vedika veteran actually said…the best show that had graced the stage after Vishwa Vinayaka.

You May Also Like

0 comments