Powered by Blogger.

HANDLE WITH GLOVES


I know what you’re going to think after you read this. Some of you will surely call or even drop by to tell me that I am ‘effing’ mad. But I don’t know how, I don’t know why…

I feel like being a bit confessional…have to say what I want to…and I have to write it down so I can say it without interruption. So please…allow me…to get it off my chest.

The first time I had this feeling was when I was shooting a film in a slaughter house. And the young man who was handling the meat cutting buzz saw was expected to wear chain link gloves to protect his fingers…but he was very uncomfortable with the idea of wearing what he called a ‘condom’ on his fingers.

He was of the opinion that wearing the glove would make him less sensitive than he was. And he needed every bit of sensitivity when cutting meat, especially with that high speed saw buzzing at dangerous speeds.

I couldn’t on that day understand why he was fighting a safety measure so obviously introduced for him. One small miscalculation, one micro-second too late and he’d be left without a finger or two…or even attain the hands free status that accident victims ever so often manage to aspire for.

A few days later life caught up with me and I forgot all about the gloves and the buzz saw.

Now the strange thing. Last Saturday my friend Rahul Basu invited me to be one of the judges at a Bengali version of a Hyderabadi Master Chef kind of competition. I thought it was going to be an afternoon of delicious Bengali dishes and perhaps a chance to practice my language skills. Sure I got those too but I also got a surprise.

One of the rules announced was that all participants had to wear gloves while cooking.

And before I could say ‘Handle’, my Gloves were off. You see that’s my perennial problem. I cannot handle anything with my gloves on. Especially life.

I walk into life taking on everything it throws at me with a zest and enthusiasm that often goes beyond carelessness. I have been accused of insensitivity whereas I have spent my whole life pleading guilty of extra-sensitivity.

I allow everything to get to me. Whether it is pain or pleasure. Life reaches me in unadulterated, unbridled and unprotected terms. Raw. I don’t wear anything that softens the blow, makes me safer, or even makes me immune by any stretch of imagination.

In short, I handle life without my gloves on. If I wear gloves, I suspect that I will lose all feeling. That I will actually lose touch with the world.

So now…Now imagine this. And this was as close to a nightmare that I’d allow myself to be in.

A bunch of home chefs, all taking part in a fun competition, suddenly told that they had to wear funny blue silicone/latex/plastic gloves at every stage of cooking. From chopping meat, fish and vegetables to stirring up a masala in a frying pan, what was usually done at home in plain and simple bare hands fashion, now had to be attempted wearing a protective device.

What happens to the feelings? To the sensitivity? To the sheer touch and feel that is such an integral part of cooking. But it wasn’t as if they had a choice. They had been given the rule and they had to follow it.

So while I could easily imagine the discomfort the participants were feeling while they struggled to chop an onion finely while using glove clad fingers, and possibly sharper knives than they were used to…I couldn’t do much else except pray that there were no accidents.

Now me being me, my mind travelled up some strange avenues. And I wondered if my doctor friends who obviously wore surgical gloves almost every day, ever had a touchy, feely romantic moment with their nurses while they had their gloves on. Or did they pause for a moment, dis-glove (like disrobe) and only then get naughty with their colleagues?

I imagined seeing my food cart friends who conjured up bread-omelettes, vadas, mirchi bajjis, samosas and what have you in the most primitive of conditions, wearing these alien gloves. The mind boggled.

My mind went on to the scene from a forgotten movie when a lovely lady wearing long black gloves met the handsome hero who was wearing winter clothes and leather gloves…both of them stopped a few feet from each other. Kept the eye contact thing working while they elegantly removed their gloves. And only then they moved closer and allowed their hands to touch.

Skin met skin. Flesh touched flesh. And emotions were triggered off.

And here were a bunch of cooks who were ordered to be ‘hand-in-glove’ with rubber. Whatever would happen to the fledgling love between the fingers, the knife and the onions. Between the fingers, the knives and the potatoes. Oh my God, would the tomatoes go red in anger? Would the fish object to the plastic touch? Would the prawns prefer their cutting fingers nude?

Every part of my being objected to this gross injustice. But I forced myself to keep calm. Thought positive thoughts. And the cooking time was soon over. There was no mishap. Just a couple of cases of the electric stoves not working. And more importantly there was no report of chopped fingers or any other body part.

And the food that was served to us Judges for tasting and evaluation, was quite honestly…excellent.

So the gloves did not obviously create the havoc that I was afraid of.

In my car, on the way back from the venue, I thought to myself…have I been unnecessarily afraid of the gloves? Will I lose much flavor of my life if I continue to taste it without inhibition? Have I perhaps given too much importance to the freedom, the insolence of ‘au naturelle’…

I haven’t been able to freeze an answer…would you like to try…maybe that’ll help.

You May Also Like

0 comments