Powered by Blogger.

The Search for the True Punjabi Tadka

There's a time in everyone's life when the search for something Punjabi takes on romantic dimensions. Looking for a Punjabi boy, the Punjabi munda, the quintessential stud, is a phase many girls go through, even if they don't admit it. The Punjabi kudi has been the stuff male dreams are made of for centuries.

Stories about the characteristics of the gritty Punjabi have been doing the round for eons. They've been stamped as the most strapping, handsome sorts especially in their Sardar avataar. Known as gentlemen to the core they've been the mainstays of history. And it is said that it is all because of the land they live in, the water they drink...the water of the five rivers from where they got their name Punjab.

Not surprising therefore is the unique flavor of the cuisine of Punjab that has become a worldwide phenomenon. And I do believe that the search for the perfect or typical Punjabi Meal is the only sign that proves that you've graduated from lusting the Punjabi (male or female) to loving the Punjabi (the taste, the flavor, the signature wholesomeness).

Though everyone goes through this transition at some stage or the other, foodies like us graduate to the ‘cuisine’ stage very early in our life. Almost as if the eyes look at the chicken leg instead of the chick’s legs;-)

I have been fortunate in my life to have travelled across the length and breadth of the country, even a major portion of the world itself, and have sampled Punjabi Fare almost everywhere. The bonus in my life is that at different times I’ve had good Punjabi friends who spared no trouble to ensure that I tasted good old Punjabi Home Cooked food.

But the desire to satisfy the craving for authentic Punjabi food has cropped up too often and I am forever on the lookout for places that serve good Panju stuff.

In all fairness I must admit that while the old Punjabi Dhabas were class acts of their times, today’s hybrid ones are too localized for my liking. It’s like eating Biryani with Avakaya (Pickle) instead of Mirchi ka Saalan.

And the worst thing that could have happened is that the rustic Dhaba setting became a five star inspiration for hotels and outlets that translated ambience into imposing trucks, and dominant themes into loud balle balle music.

I found places that cooked their Chicken the right way. Some where the rotis were true to Punjab. And even some that strived to match the wholesomeness of the standard ‘big boy’ lassi da Punjab.

I also rued the fact that many places had substituted whole wheat with Maida (which I think is sacrilege). Also I’ve been known to be perennially pointing out that the color of Punjab is not the artificial red that you paint on half cooked chicken, but is a tone that tickles your appetite and satiates your palate in a way no other food does.

And the secret to getting it right almost always starts off with the right ingredients. I mean, it is but natural that if you want to serve Desi Punjabi you have to source Punjabi.










So when I was told that the Gaajar had been specially flown in from the North I was happy. The deeper red or even blacker Carrot makes all the difference, whether it is a Gaajar ka Halwa or even a Kaali Gaajar ki Kanji.

Ok, now I have a confession to make. Over the years I have transformed into more of a Starters Man than a Main Course one. So I was looking forward eagerly to the menu on offer.

I was after all, at Punjab Grill, at the invitation of my good friend Sankalp and was in the presence of the young and vivacious owner/partner Bhargavi.

The first starter served was a googly (and No, that is not a pun to acknowledge the presence of dear Neidhi Kumar the ex-Googler). It was something called Mutton Tawa Tikke. The way this dish had been made was very reminiscent of the Hyderabadi Patthar ka Gosht. And I was reminded that good food is a destination many people reach using different routes.

The Vegetarian on offer was Tikki Choley. And that was a hearty one. The tikkis were a mashed potato extrapolation and the choley spread on top were soft cooked into masala delicacy.

Two dishes that fascinated me visually were the Atta Chicken and the Karela Kheema. The Atta Chicken was a class act. Marinated chicken wrapped in muslin, covered with a generous dollop of wheat dough and baked. The dough had to be cut open to give us a taste of the amazingly well cooked chicken and it was a taste so unique that it had me wondering how this had not perchanced on me during my travels.

The Karela Kheema was less exciting but tasted as good. The bitterness of the gourd had been subdued and the texture of the minced meat was filling.

I must tell you about the Butter Naans we had. Soft, hot, just the right texture and the butter was not overwhelming.

All in all, a nice experience. What I particularly liked that all the memories of Punjab were being triggered off by the food. And food alone. Not the décor. Not the music. And definitely not the waiters…oh how I hate those waiters who don turbans and speak with the swag in an attempt to make the environment authentic Punjab…and fail miserably.

The Dessert section was bit of a downer though. The Fruit Cream tasted too much like the Fruit Salad that we regularly have at the Fruit Vendors in Hyderabad. And the Gud ka Halwa was too close to Kerala for my liking. But I guess the toning down of the sugar heaviness was a conscious attempt.


Would I go to Punjab Grill again? Most definitely yes. I like the fact that it is Punjabi in taste alone. And I am not forcefed a dose of bhangra music, rustic cot/chairs and the smell of diesel from the trucks or the highways, whichever is nearer.

You May Also Like

0 comments