Powered by Blogger.

Am I a Foodie first and a Film Maker later or the other way around…

by - 12:40 AM

Untitled-3

For a major part of my life now, this has been a quandary. Not so much a doubt that my friends and acquaintances have had, but a question I myself have not been able to answer with any certainty.

You see, the best thing about film making is that it has given me amazing opportunities to travel to so many parts of the world and experience several cuisines that I think the two sides of me have become integral. But while I have on my film making soirees, landed up at the quaintest of places and sampled the oddest of fares, today was in all fairness, legendary.

Just see where I am coming from. I am making a film that has as part of its story, a presentation about a young man’s food lover side. Where he goes, what he eats, what he loves, what he remembers with fondness…and to capture, albeit peripherally, this same experience, I had to, along with my team go restaurant hopping on this wet and drizzly day.

From Idlis, Wadas, Dosas and Thalis at the venerable Taj Mahal Hotel, Secunderabad to Kebabs, Biryani and Qubani ka Meetha at Paradise. From pucca Hyderabadi (including Paan – Calcutta, Meenakshi) to a chinky side at good old Haiking. Only to finish off the day eating Chaat near James Street Police Station in the relentless Sec’bad Drizzle.

While we were shooting we were witness to an old man-real estate tycoon who called someone to report to him then and there…and a few minutes later, when the chastised fellow actually arrived…ordered him to take care of some land grabbers i.e. ‘off’ them. While we were shooting we also saw a changed restaurant clientele eating Chinese…Andhra Style. Mixed Fried Rice with Chicken Curry, finger lickin’ good eh!!! Fork, what Fork…hands saar, hands…it’s all in your hands.

But one thing was made very clear. When it comes to Chaat, Paani Puri, Bhel etc., Secunderabad is far, far ahead of Hyderabad. The bandi food in Banjara Hills for example…from Maharajah to SVM…is sad compared to the delicious stuff doled out by the MG Road Bandis.

In a kind of strange analysis I must say that angles and lenses are difficult to think of when confronted with the unmistakable ‘zaika’ of love and warmth that Hyderabadi food seems to emanate, whatever be the cuisine. And food is the last thing on my mind when I look through the view finder and see images that have nothing to do with my palate, but everything to do with my canvas.

Foodie first? Or Film Maker? Who cares? As long as life is playing Fast Forward…as long as I have the option of pressing Pause whenever I want…and experience the magic of Slow Motion when the moments are to be savoured, and the memories have to be cherished.

 

You May Also Like

1 comments