Powered by Blogger.

Let’s go Greek…

I am under the firm impression that creativity has become a victim of premature death. At least as far as names of restaurants in Hyderabad are concerned.

Otherwise what can explain a slew of restaurants called 36, 45, Chattees and so on. I could live with a Corner House and a City Centre but Thirteenth Floor, 3rd Turn to the Right, Pillar No.144 etc. I thought was taking this GPS kind of directional branding a bit too far.

So when my friend Avi Nash D joined a host of others in inviting  me to a new Greek Restaurant in town – The Blue Door, I must admit I was skeptical. But what interested me was the attempt to create a breakfast option in lazy, laid back Hyderabad. People here often only wake up by lunch time and on a Sunday I know many people who get up only for tea. Even the commercial establishments open up fully by about 11. Obviously Hyderabadis haven’t heard (or don’t believe in) the Early Bird story.

But here was a restaurant that was trying. And the invite said 8.30 am. So I decided to give it a try.

bluedoorIt was easy to find the place. It was on Road 45 Jubilee Hills, was opposite Big Dosas…and yes, it had a blue door.

And the moment I walked in, I fell in love.

Here was a restaurant that started off by raising the ceiling if not the bar. High angled ceilings, all white interiors, blue doors and pastel throw-arounds. The imagery was cool, unbelievably cool. And I realized that the whole color combination and the way the restaurant was laid out was cashing in on the Mediterranean Blue feel and the wide openness of the Greeks. The outdoor section had a sundeck kind of feel and little spray guns clouded the roof in spurts.

bd

We were received by Balram, the man behind the restaurant who I promptly labeled the Man in Blue (in English) and Greek Veerudu (in Telugu). And on the advice of Sanjay Borra our in-house food photographer, opted to sit in the airconditioned insides.

We started off with coffee which I must admit was milkier than the way I like it, and lighter than what I imagine the Greeks (if they are anything like the Turks) like. But the Jacket Potato dish (I am sorry, I can’t remember the name) that was served almost immediately thereafter, more than made up for the lapse. The stuffing was cheesy, meaty, herby and delicious. And we had a hard time allowing our photographers to shoot…we wanted to dig in so much.

The range of Kayanas that appeared after that left me with a feeling that the cheese topping was more than necessary and the bottom of scrambled eggs and mutton, chicken or mushroom was less. Also the taste took a sudden southward turn and leaving behind the subtle flavors of all things European, dabbled with a more Indian richness.

Balram explained that the Crepe Machine had not yet arrived, and that the crepes were still being hand rolled…that explained my reaction to the slightly thick serving which made it resemble a poor cousin of a Frankie or a Roll Call Kathi.

I finished off my breakfast with an omelette. Now if you are a fan of a stuffed omelette you should try the Greek version. It’s filling and it’s wholesome. It has as many herbs and spices as your Italian Pizza and as much meat as your Texan Steak.

I couldn’t stay back for the desserts but I did get a glimpse of Chocolate Mousse with olive oil, delicious Brownies with Vanilla Ice Cream dusted with some powdered cinnamon and poached tangerine with honey & ice cream.

All in all, a wonderful time was had and a good Sunday morning excursion for the palate. As I was leaving, my friends told me that they had had an amazing lunch experience here some time back…I have to do that, soon.

I can see that it will become one of my haunts…it’s waiting with white open armsSmile

You May Also Like

0 comments