Powered by Blogger.

Has the Buddha killed Romance in Hyderabad? A kayaking story…

by - 11:01 AM

buda

In the middle of the Hussain Sagar lake in the city of Hyderabad, stands Asia’s tallest monolithic Buddha. An engineering marvel known more for its resurrection than for its artistic or aesthetic significance.

Very few people know that where the Buddha now stands, used to be a cluster of rocks, in the middle of the lake, known to most as the Rock of Gibraltar.

In the middle of the Hussain Sagar, a few days back some of Hyderabad’s young enthusiasts (and even a couple of older ones) gathered together for a Kayaking Event. And thanks to a friend who was part of the organisers I found myself shoreside on an overcast Saturday morning.

The energy and the buzz was palpable. Young anxious faces confessed their apprehensions and voiced their fear of performing badly. That could be embarrassing, they thought.

On the side, awaiting their pleasure was a fleet of six, swanky kayaks in red and blue. Three seaters, they were designed to take a captain and two oarsmen. And as the teams jostled for position and the chance to choose their ride, I found myself slipping into nostalgia.

kayak

I found myself thinking of many years ago when the Sailing Club had imported one of the first Kayaks. A blazing Ferrari Red two seater that was parked in the boat house until brats like me got Yadgiri or whatever was his name to pull it out and launch it.

I have never been too much of an outdoorsy person. I have only enjoyed long walks. Thirty Forty kilometer walks to be precise. But at my own pace, most of the time reading a book as I walked…and chewing on a chocolate, a Lacto Bon Bon in specific.

But somehow I took to the kayak. I loved the way my arms and my shoulders took the brunt of the effort required and my mind and body co-ordination kicked in effortlessly. And so it came to be that I was a fairly regular user of the Kayak.

I loved the way it gave me access to the whole of the lake (almost) and the only limit to the distance I could traverse, was my own stamina and strength, both of which I used to have in plenty (in them days).

Naturally I knew the Rock of Gibraltar. I used to kayak around it frequently. And got quite familiar with its topography. But only when I realised that there was a nook built naturally into the rock, did I begin to think naughty.

Imagine a place, right in the middle of a lake, right in the middle of a city where you could lie down with a book and some music, and lose your self for an eternity. It was bliss.

And then the foodie side of me took over. I found that packing some sandwiches from the club and carrying a soft drink or two made the trip fulfilling.

Now, remember the Rock of Gibraltar was out of bounds for most of the city. A gang of us used to swim to the rock almost every morning when I used to stay in Gagan Mahal Colony and was part of an urchin gang that used to swim in the ‘Tank Bund’ everyday.

And I, who had learnt to swim in Dhakuria Lake in Calcutta and in a pukur (pond) in my landlord’s village in the 24 Paraganas District in West Bengal, preferred to swim in the lake than at the Swimming Pool at the Club or the one on Lower Tank Bund Road near the Water Pump.

As nature took its course with my life, I found myself with a girl friend or two at several points in my life. There was this particular one who was a Tomboy. And I found that our connect was more interesting when I exposed her to my exploratory adventurous self (pun definitely intended).

So Bike Rides on my Jawa were par for the course. Long drives in her car were standard. And then I thought of a mid-lake picnic.

So we landed up at the Sailing Club. Ordered our sandwiches and soft drinks. And then set off for the Rock. Reaching there, I managed to place my kayak in a position that was safe i. e. it would not float off in a hurry. And then spent almost the full day under the mid-day sun, chomping on sandwiches, sipping soft drinks and talking love.

That then became a habit. And the Rock became a love nest of sorts. Obviously this could not be kept a secret for long and then I arrived one day at the club, girl friend in tow…only to find that the Kayak had been taken out by another couple. That was perhaps the end of the Romantic angle the Rock had developed in my mind, but I shall never forget the sheer beauty of the place.

It was as if in the middle of the sea, there was a desert. And the only thing you could do was to find yourself. Aah, heady days!!!

I left Hyderabad then for the pursuit of life…education, job etc. And when I came back I found old NTR had other plans for the rock. And young love was definitely not part of the plans.

The rest, as they say, is history.

But when I saw the Kayaks that morning, I felt good. Alive. And I must thank some people who made it possible for me to be part of the excitement. Then. And now.

Of course, I felt funny looking at a 3-Seater Kayak…wonder what we would have done with a Captain aboardWinking smile

You May Also Like

3 comments