Powered by Blogger.

Marrakesh…Magical, Mystical…

by - 11:19 AM

marakesh

The name Marrakesh had always intrigued me. Of course I remembered that Marrakech was an ancient city of commercial power and wealth. And the name triggered off Arabian Night images.

But the road to Marrakesh Hyderabad was reportedly rocky and I was advised by the kids not to attempt scaling the rocks even if I was missing a few special occasions in the bargain.

Last night however was an occasion I could not miss and I braved the dangers of the uneven steps rock-cut into a treacherous topography and ventured forth into the depths of the city’s most rugged celebration destination.

As I reached the amphitheatre which had been brilliantly lit up with amber star lights and sky lanterns, I heard strains of the Indian Ocean, a band I had heard here a few years back. By the time I had walked down the steps, albeit with the assistance of helping hands, I was almost out of breath. And I wondered if I had not pushed myself too far, too soon.

But as I walked onto the balcony and met up with my friends I realised that they too were breathless.

The spectacle that awaited us was a collage of twinkling stars, illuminated skyscrapers, placid reflections in the dark water, the warmth of a fire and the delicate light hangings that completed the picture.

And to match the ambience, the barman started playing a double black tune of Scotch and the service staff started bringing out the most exotic of starters.

Crab, fish, prawns, pork…the platter seemed to be endless. And the tastes were divine.

And then we partied, under the canopied sky. To the beat of Bollywood gone insane. And we met up with friends from a different chapter in life. And rewrote books of shared memories, while indeed creating new ones.

As I drove home, late at night, my legs were pulling from the strain of it all, my back was in agony…but I sat back with a satisfied smile in the car.

Durgam Cheruvu, the fortress of my childhood dreams had indeed blossomed into a party. And my favourite rocks had not been disturbed. Man had shown once again that he could coexist with nature.

I must go back there, soon. I promised myself.

 

 

 

 

You May Also Like

0 comments