Powered by Blogger.

The Evolution of Street Art in Hyderabad over 90 Days

by - 10:32 PM






Ok. Let me start by admitting two things. One, I am terribly biased when it comes to anything to do with Kalakriti Art Gallery. Two, in spite of about 4 decades of exposure to advertising art of the highest order I do not pretend to be an authority of any sort when it comes to matters of art and shamelessly admit that sensitivity to art is quite possibly a missing characteristic of mine.

Which is why I had no hesitation to opine recently, that the street art that Hyderabad was invaded by during the Global Empowerment Summit, was nothing short of disastrous, identical to grotesque, and ugly to the core.

I hoped that the Telugu Meet which followed soon after would spark off some culturally more relevant imagery but that too was a balloon burst by several artistic pricks (if you’ll pardon the pun).

So when I heard that Kalakriti was involved with the authorities and St+art India in beautifying a hidden layer of Hyderabad, I was intrigued and quite relieved. Nothing that Kalakriti did could ever be tasteless.

When a sneak preview let us on to the secret that it was the Maqtha that had been chosen for streetartification I thought to myself that this must be because the previous two occasions had robbed the city of any more canvases. I mean, come on…every wall, every crevice, every corner and what have you had been bombarded by the shit art (I’m sorry, I shall not refer to it as Street Art)…so if anyone wanted space to display their art, they had to look for newer spaces, for better or for worse.

And quite frankly I saw some kind of poetic justice in the choice of location. Because as I am sure you are aware, most of the city’s ‘beautification’ had been done only on the Trump Corridor. The rest of Hyderabad was left unfairly undisturbed.

So to shift from the classy banjara/jubilee/madhapur/gachibowli belt to the area that American Authors would perhaps call ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ was sensible and quite laudable.

While thanks to social media and the fairly extensive coverage that the endeavour received, I vaguely knew what to expect, I also knew that there could be nothing to match a personal visit.

I would have loved to do a walk through, but for reasons that need not be explained, I could only venture a drive by.

From the entrance, to the directions, to the splashes of color that greeted my sight, I knew that this was all in a different league altogether. The art was cleaner. The lines were sharper. The graphics were infinitely more positive.

What grew on me however was a sense of disappointment that firstly, this was all being done in an area that 9 out of 10 Hyderabadis and 1 out of a million visitors would never have seen, and nor were they likely to in the near future.

The second was that the palette used was, contrary to my expectations, quite foreign. There were colors that intruded into the space. Patterns that shouted an alien tongue. And forgive me for thinking so, but  they reminded me too much of the art direction in Telugu Movies in the early days when Mithai Pink and Pista Green danced with Canary Yellow and Cobalt Blue.

From my perspective there was no merging or fitting in. This was assault, pure and simple. A Bludgeoning of Artistivity onto a mute subjugated citizenry. There was no story, no recalling of roots, no echoing the sentiments of the people who live in that space…most of them people of marginal means who were gifted the illegally grabbed land by an iconic politician whose vote bank this area still perhaps is.

To me it looked like a few children were asked to share a box of crayons and because they could not learn to share, each one created a shade all his very own. The whole ‘basti’, as a result, looked like a canvas of survival stories slapped with success collages. And that made me very uncomfortable.


Ok. Alright. I accept that I have no business commenting about what I know hardly anything about. I am ready to be castigated. To be corrected. To be educated. And if you are a particularly good friend of mine, I won’t even mind if you tell me to shut up.

You May Also Like

0 comments