Powered by Blogger.

Shunya – because things sound better in a vacuum!!!

I had to leave a concert early last night. And it was one of the few times in my life that I felt that my profession was making unreasonable demands of me.

While that tiny moment of regret was soon forgotten as I got what I was looking for, I felt that the experience, however partial it was, had be celebrated and shared. So here goes…

The performers were two musicians I respect tremendously. Dr. Mahesh Joshi and Flute Nagaraju. While I had seen them both individually, their pair on stage was only a YouTube experience till last night. And live, they were amazing.


They were performing at the Goethe Zentrum Concert Hall next door as part of Shunya - Ambareesh Pittie’s exhibition of photographs. Under the banner ‘Sagas of Raagas’.

Now I’m not too big a fan of Pittie’s images, I find them too dark for my liking. But last night his black and white images of performers on stage were quite something. Hung up on all sides of the hall they gave me the feeling that we were all, musicians and audience alike, surrounded by magical memories.

The feeling of being suspended in a vacuum of sorts was enhanced when the lighting was muted and Mahesh and gang performed sitting. The normally high energy Mahesh was in a strange, unfamiliar mellow zone. And he ruled.

But I think even he was surprised when audience participation hit the right notes with surprising consistency. And the audience…it spilled over from the chairs…onto the floor…into the aisles…

There were a few of us who had to leave early, but I saw that each of us made it a point to excuse ourselves. A far cry from those shy, awkward exits one is used to.

But I am digressing.

Last night was one where I felt that the word ‘Mahoul’ was a ‘Mahesh’ creation. He took the audience by hand and led them like the proverbial Pied Piper into the hills, the valleys, the shores and the skies of music. (Well, he did have the Piper for able company).

So much like a Tour Guide did he lead the audience that I’m sure the Tourism Department would welcome him into their fraternity.


Thank you Amita Desai and my friends at GZ. What an evening. What a calm. And thanks to Ambareesh for conceiving this performance of performances.

You May Also Like

0 comments