Powered by Blogger.

Looking to hire people with good communication skills? Maybe you should check out yours…

by - 10:33 AM

improve-communication-skills

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but Communication Skills rank pretty high in desirable qualities when you enter the Job Market. And I guess it makes sense. I mean what would happen if you were found wanting simply because you could not communicate.

I have a confession. I think, while this holds true in any industry where you are expected to interact with ‘Customers’, in any other environment, especially one that limits your exposure to the outside world, communication skills are hugely misunderstood. And over rated.

Let me tell you why.

First of all, let us understand that Communication is a Two Way Street. And Communication happens when we come from two ends and meet each other somewhere along.

Did we meet half way? Or did you have to walk an extra mile? Doesn’t matter. The point is that communication took place. Sometimes you walk more, sometimes the other fellow talks more.

There can be no better example than an Advertising Agency to demonstrate this. The Agency is as multi-layered as you can get. The top order may be cool, suave, sophisticated, educated, well travelled and stylish. Or they may be rich, nouveau rich, loud, boorish, cultureless and so on. The middle order is usually the hard working suit who often knows the language, but is yet to discover the style. Then there is a parallel universe called the Creative. They speak all sorts of languages but all of them usually spell attitude. And then you have the support services. The studio, the media and production departments and so on.

These are the workers. Hired for their skills. And for their experience. To expect them to speak good English for instance is a stupidity many of us indulge in to our loss.

The more successful people and companies have been those who have been able to switch between different ends of the spectrum. Speak in one way when you’re speaking to your peers, one way when you are speaking with colleagues, and a totally different way when you are interacting with the ‘working’ staff.

I keep getting requests from friends asking me to suggest to them, let’s say “Web designers with Good Communication Skills”. Now walk with me, as I explain some ground realities.

  • There is no shortage of Good Web Designers.
  • Most of them are from a geography where English was a Foreign Language.
  • Their programming Skills are World Class, but their Communication Skills are yet to evolve. The moment they do, they become entrepreneurs and go far out of reach of the average Employer.

My advise to friends who ask for these kinds of employees is simple. Don’t look beyond their relevant skills. But yes, definitely do look at whether YOU can communicate with them. Will you be able to come ‘down’ to their level? Will you be able to walk the talk with someone who you need to communicate with?

Stop dreaming of a time when artists, programmers and the like will also have a degree or two in Literature and spout Shakespeare at the drop of a hat.

I speak English, Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Bengali, a bit of Marathi and I speak Classy, I speak Massy and hell yes, I speak Street. I use social interactions to decide which mode of mine is switched on.

I can be a prude when need be. And crass if I think it’s necessary. And I do all this consciously because I WANT to communicate.

It’s in my interest. It gets my jobs done.

And I am not an exception. But I dare say I am the RULE in the present scenario.

So the next time you put the word out that you’re looking for someone, think. Think!

Look for someone who YOU can communicate with! Not necessarily someone who comes in with Communication Qualifications.

You May Also Like

1 comments