Powered by Blogger.

Daane daane pay likha hai khaaney walla ka naam…On every drop is written a name…

1379321_10154879370685106_7007627297152579146_n

I had decided that I would spend my weekend writing individual thank you notes to each and every one who wished me on my birthday. I was overwhelmed by the numbers but determined to respond to each loving sentiment in kind and hopefully in equal measure.

I’d had such a busy week that even my birthday celebration had to become a few stolen minutes with my family. And those minutes too had to be written off to beer…even as I found out, thanks to a dear friend, that two bottles of wine were waiting for me at home.

Two bottles of wine??? Yes, a new brand that I had been waiting for a long time to see launched. So much so that I made an exception and had a glass of red late that night after we came back home.

If I had expected it to be good, it turned out to be fantastic. And I thought to myself that the wine deserved more respect than a late night swig. So we made a kind of a pact. The next day, every one of us in the family would try and keep the evening free and dedicate it to the Cabernet Shiraz and the Sauvignon Blanc. The plan was sincere and the intentions honourable. But what was it they say about plans, men and mice…

So the next evening some more work cropped up and I could not get home in time to wine. Hell, no problem, I thought…there’s always tomorrow.

The tomorrow came and I was looking forward to the evening. I called up during the day to remind the others and planned to pick up some cheese from Q Mart.

At about 7 I got a call from home reminding me of the Wine Date. At 715 I got summoned to a friend’s place for an important rendezvous. Even my friend had planned an early night, so dinner was over by 10pm and I was on my way back home by 1015.

I reached home and found a happy family. Sitting around the dining table they were. With two glorious bottles centre stage.

Aah, I said…thanks for having waited.

Waited? Who waited? Asked my wife. And the kids giggled. That’s when I realised that what I was looking at were two empty bottles of wine. The girls, having lost patience waiting for me had decided to go ahead with the party.

That’s not fair, I sulked. And somehow they managed to give me two tea spoons of the last dregs in the bottles.

So what could I do? I accepted the cruel reality that I’d have to wait a little bit longer for the wine…but rued that I had lost the legitimacy to thank the friend who had so thoughtfully gifted me the wines.

Don’t worry…we’ve thanked him on your behalf, the family echoed. And I savoured the silly smile on my face for a long time after that.

And now, as I get ready for another busy day and an even more packed next four or five days I think again of all the friends who I wish to thank.

And I decide that the best way to do this is to pick up a bottle sometime during the day today…or two. And closet myself somewhere and drink to all my friends who make my life so special.

Salut.

You May Also Like

0 comments