Powered by Blogger.

Olive in the rains…a new menu on the card:-)

by - 10:19 AM

olive

A restaurant with a view. An outlet whose popularity is fanned by the ever whistling wind. A passing shower that sprinkles you with droplets of joy. A menu that keeps changing by the season. And a fraternity of friendly foodies.

What more can anyone ask for?

We were there at Olive Bistro yesterday for the launch of their Monsoon Menu. For me it was a very important day. While I am from the generation that has explored the surroundings of Durgam Cheruvu as a teenager; and from a profession that has used this place for shoots and for Tourism Events and Promotions, my physical limitations in the last few years have precluded me from visiting any of the outlets that peppered the local landscape. The outlets were too far from the drop point and there were too many ups and downs to be negotiated. But yesterday I decided to walk the talk. And so I huffed and puffed into the Olive Bistro almost sharp at 12.30.

That there is something magical about the view, many people know. That in the rains this view is reminiscent of the heavens is popular perception. But I was seeing it for the first time in many years and I was indeed breathless.

And as we stepped into the restaurant (after having walked around and through some delightful open air seating nooks and options) we were hit be a wave of hospitality that only an old friend can exude…or her sonSmile(thank you Shaaz).

But that bit of personal affection aside, the place was simply…fantastic. Open was the key word and white, light and wide open were the preferred accents.

Now I must tell you that though I knew specifically that I was going there for a taste of what they had as part of the Monsoon Menu. And I was told that their menu changes every four months in keeping with the seasons. And having been e-mailed a gist of the menu…I was still curious.

In a country that believes the rains are a divine signal to bring out the hot hot pakoras and steaming hot chai the menu indicated was a contrast. It was indeed a departure from popular notions and seasonal myths.

The beverages on offer for instance were all about chilled, fruity and subtle. Both mocktails and their naughtier cousins were on offer but I chose to stick to the virgins. Because I wanted to keep my palate sober I suppose.

The first starter that did the rounds explained the concept of the menu very clearly. It was a nice, flaky puff topped by scrambled eggs and mushrooms. Now those of you who have been brought up on the occasional diet of Irani Hotel and Bakery Egg Puffs know about the boiled egg wrapped in puffs feel…tasty yes, but definitely filling and a bit on the heavy side. Now, just scramble those eggs and throw in some kind of a shredded mushroom garnish and serve them atop a flake…and you have what can only be described as a light hearted flirtation with deliciousness.

The brie was a wonderfully cheesy affair. It was filo wrapped and came to us with its good friends Orange, Toasted Almonds and Saffron Honey. And I could see that I was in for a great afternoon as long as I kept it Nice & Light.

What followed was a bevy of salads, meat balls, flat bread pizzas and salmony, porky, ham and bacony fillers that pandered to every one of your food fantasies.

I am not going to write about the food too much. Around me yesterday were some of the biggest foodies in town. They are more equipped than I. And I am sure that they will be putting up their reviews…which will tell you more details about the great monsoon spread that Olive has going till November. And the 50% off on food offer this week. Yes I am sure they will tell you about that. But me…I am still drooling from the experience of which the food was but one essential part.

To me Olive Bistro, Hyderabad is just a wonderful feeling. It makes me wish I had hair that was long enough to fly. It makes me wish that I could sing. It makes me wish that I could tell all my friends to join me there for what my Bengalis call an ‘Adda’ Session.

And yes, it makes me feel like going back.

You May Also Like

0 comments