Powered by Blogger.

Brainstorming about Leadership, True Legends and Remembering People for the Good That They Do…

A few days back, in an earlier blog I had clarified that I was more fascinated with the lesser known heroes, people whose achievements were largely unsung. And I am fairly certain that mundane things like money and power did not enter any equation on the basis of which I measured some of the heroes. (Do read my blog http://vjmarur.blogspot.in/2014/02/kaam-dhaam-satya-hai.html).

What I perhaps did not mention, is that I have always been someone who looks beyond the obvious and finds heroes who exist beyond the set canvas. Quite a lot of my writing has had to do with this unique facet of mine. What makes me very fortunate is that I am surrounded by friends and family many of who are indeed special and quite often unsung by choice.

Imagine my pleasure and absolute delight when I approached Premier Liquor Manufacturers Pernod-Ricard (Ballantine’s, 100 Pipers, Blender’s Pride, Absolut Vodka, Fuel, Jacob’s Creek, Nine Hills Wines etc) and found that for a new, exclusive and premium variant of their 100 Pipers Whisky they had as their Brand Persona, Bob Geldof and their Brand Mission was to Remember People for the Good that they do.

As part of a digital campaign to promote their exquisite whisky they wanted to create an online community which in turn would point us in the direction of several local citizens who were quite the unknown, unheard of heroes and also could be considered to be the True Legends of Hyderabad.

Our discussions have been going on for a few months now and there has been a lot of debate on who should be entitled to voice his opinion, how, when…and also what kind of traits we were looking for in the leaders to be identified, recognized and acknowledged if not rewarded.

When the debates were leading to standoffs with everything from personal bias to brand dictates clashing, the client came up with a brilliant idea.

Think of 10 or 12 people that YOU (that’s me) KNOW and respect as people with that extra special something which makes them noteworthy heroes and possible legends in their own right…and let us see if we can get some inputs from them, maybe they will help us establish parameters and mechanisms to action the campaign.

As I said, I am fortunate that I have many among my friends who I admire, and my admiration has never been covert. So it took me very little time to put together a list. And we all met up in the charming Cabinet Room at the ITC Hotel Kaktiya one evening. And to quote one of the inimitable invitees…it was a business party where all we had to do was drink scotch, eat kebabs and give out Gyan to each other…

1800203_10151977105638848_535066151_n

Ashok Agarwal, the educationist, the pioneering entrepreneur behind successes like SQL Star, PC Quest, the man who ran Engineers Without Borders and one of the senior most BITS Pilani Graduates.

Suheim Sheikh, the man whose programs power most of the stock exchanges in the world and whose passion ranges from wild life photography to watersports.

1982283_10151977214613848_1987856128_nMani Shankar, my childhood friend, film maker, political campaigner, religious expert and columnist. Innovator beyond par.

Shankar Melkote, my Godfather, my Mentor. A Corporate Honcho by Light, A Theatre Veteran by Camera and a Film Star by Action. A Shakesperean by speech, a Faizian by lifestyle and a Littérateur by passion.

Narender Luther, a retired Bureaucrat, a historian, an author, a humorist, an activist and a true blue Hyderabadi gentleman. A person I have had the good fortune to witness in action from my very childhood.

Sairam Mocherla, a financial whiz-kid who is poised to be the single most significant man involved with India’s Infrastructural Road Map, a young Director of a popular public sector bank and a visionary who thinks beyond profit.

Joe Koster, the man who is single handedly allowing Hyderabad to rediscover the magic of classical Western Music, Choir Singing while quietly working as an NGO to better the lives of many.

Jean Manuel Duhaut, the Hindi Speaking French Director of the Alliance Francaise whose responsibility is to bring together Hyderabadi and World Culture using French as a medium.

Prshant Lahoti, the art collector who hides behind his self effacing smile an entrepreneurial drive that is powering local magazines, real estate ventures, art galleries and foundations, a hardware and software background.

Md. Ali Baig, a film maker turned theatre revivalist who has, riding the fond memory of his late father, brought about in Hyderabad a veritable rediscovery of heritage and culture.

Suresh Kochattil, a healthcare and media professional who squeezes into his clock the role of an adventure enthusiast, a rock climber, a proud parent, a quizzer, a philanthropist and an activist with aplomb.

Srinivas Krishna of Pernod Ricard very kindly sat in as a kind of unofficial moderator.

What was discussed, what directions were explored, what templates considered…is all something that will become obvious in the next few weeks as the Facebook Page “True Legends of Hyderabad” goes live and begins to reach out to the very people whose voice it aims to be.

100 pipers 12yoIt shall be a privilege for me to work with 100 Pipers XII YO on this initiative and I shall look forward to reaching out to my friends again and again for help and advise.

Until then, do watch out for the Facebook Page and as they say in FB Parlance…LIKE IT Smile

You May Also Like

0 comments