Powered by Blogger.

Thin Crust Omelette…a revelation!

masala-omelette I am an old school omeleteer. You can’t blame me. My mother taught me how to make omelettes when I was very young. And she, a hard core Brahmin learnt the art from a chef in Calcutta. She learnt, and therefore taught us, how to beat the eggs into a fluff. Which meant separating the whites from the yellows…painstakingly beating the egg into a texture that allowed the yellows to be folded in. She also taught us how butter needed to be added into the egg to make the omelette tastier.

As I grew up and began to discover other varieties of omelettes…from the Spanish to the Indian…to the stuffed…to the cheesy…I realized that there was a lot of flexibility in the recipe…and it was a dish that was as simple as YOU wanted it to be.

On the Vijayawada Highway for instance I discovered what I call a Dhaba Omelette…in a steel tumbler, crack open a couple of eggs…beat them up briskly with a fork…add salt and chilli powder and whisk them into a pan that has a shallow pool of hot oil. The rather fluffy omelette has a texture very different from the usual. From my cook Amina I learnt the ultimate Masala Omelette…tomatoes, onions, green chillies, half a herbal garden and what not…

But yesterday my kids rustled up a new innovation. Why they did it, I have no idea…and I don’t even know whether it was a planned masterpiece or an accidental one but you need to try this one out.

What they did was break the eggs, whipped them up into a frenzy, salted them slightly and poured onto a lightly greased, oversized frying pan…and pan-handled the utensil into spreading the egg around like dosa batter. This very thin egg concoction was allowed to just about cook…turn gold…begin to crisp at the edges etc. when the pan was taken off the fire. What I got was an omelette with the texture of a phulka, the crispness of a dosa and the taste…man…it was eggs…but it was a different kind of egg. Different…and NICE Different.

It reminded me of the egg coating that a Frankie gets and served very well as a wrap. I can so imagine a conical thin crust omelette pocket filled with masala corn and cheese cubelets…or one where cole slaw flirts with strips of bacon and slices of salami…or even just wrapped around sausages…there is no limit to what you can do.

And you know what…I’d like to invite you…all of you to try your own choice of fillings…after all, as my friend Sanjay Thummala who runs vahrevah.com India's Best Foodie Website says…the pleasure is as much in sharing recipes as it is in inspiring to see one recipe take different shapes and lives.

You May Also Like

0 comments