Powered by Blogger.

How Low Brown Cow?

I subscribe to three newspapers at home and have been doing so for many many years. The Deccan Chronicle, The Times of India and The Hindu.

Strangely enough I have had some lovely working relationships with all three groups. I produced a few films for DC and in fact headed their internet and multimedia initiative for a few years. I authored the Times Food Guide Hyderabad for two years till ill health put a stop to that. And for about five years I have been associated with the Hindu MetroPlus Theatre Fest in Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad.

My daughter works with the Times in Hyderabad as a Features Writer and she is extremely happy.

So if I say I am unbiased in my opinion of any of the newspapers I am qualified to be so.

But my role in life as a theatre enthusiast was in for a rude shock yesterday when I realised that the Times was conducting a Theatre Festival to run parallel with the MetroPlus Theatre Fest in Chennai. What it does as an aggressive marketing tool I do not know but I know that the audiences have been divided. And that was so not necessary.

At a time when even school kids and amateur groups check to make sure there is no clash, this deliberate confrontation and clash of dates is simply not done. It does not qualify as a great strategy nor does it even border on the smart move territory.

It’s simply put, a low blow, a cheap gimmick and one least expected from any of these respectable media groups. In the stupid fight for brownie points it is the the theatre audience who has lost out, and that can be in no one’s interest. Hope better sense prevails, and soon!

You May Also Like

1 comments