Powered by Blogger.

Amnesia or old age…will the real Radha Thomas please sing out…scream out…loud!!!

I guess it’s official. I now tend to forget things. While a friend often confesses to Alzheimer’s I find myself blaming old age and medication for the several slip ups. The wife and the kids smile knowingly and accuse me of selective amnesia.

But it’s early AM now and everyone is asleep, and I have stumbled onto a singer who I used to worship in the early 70’s when in college in Chennai. So why can’t I remember…

Before I say anything further do click on http://youtu.be/Bnq3Zge4NiU and http://youtu.be/TNJWvKP85Ts to give you an idea of what or who I am talking about.

I distinctly remember that the last time I saw Radha Thomas was at the Black Cadillac Pub in Bangalore in the early 90’s. And I remember wondering whatever happened to the svelte little girl who had power packed groups like The Human Bondage (I think) and belted out Immigrant Songs of the Led Zep kind so well that someone remarked that the group should keep her instead of the original singer.

But I cannot remember where that show was in Chennai…the auditorium was near the beach. It most likely was part of the Madras University Campus. It was my first ever ‘Rock Show’. We had gone as college students and came away as Rock converts. Radha Thomas was the cause. She electrified the stage with her presence and challenged the sound system to a duel which she easily won.

Where was that show? Yes in Chennai. It does host shows beyond Carnatic you know. Which was the group? If there is anyone out there who remembers better I’d be grateful…

In the meanwhile do check out Radha in her new, mellowed avataar. The voice still speaks.

You May Also Like

0 comments